Saturday, February 14, 2009

What Movie changed your Life?

Originally posted in Open Salon.

Last fall, I strolled around the Woodstock Film Festival strapped into a sandwich board, the last shreds of my dignity forfeited in the name of journalistic inquiry. I'd like to ask you that same question: What movie changed your life?.

The first thing most folks said when they saw me coming was "Great question!" The answers were equally great.

To summarize what happened: most people had an answer to the question within seconds, once they realized I wasn't asking about their favorite movie. I wanted to know what movie made a difference in their lives-- changed them or their way of looking at things. It was an exercise in emotional recollection, not intellectual case-making. I was hoping, in fact, to short-circuit the urge for give an intellectual answer.

I was surprised at how quickly the movies came to mind, and how eloquent people were in explaining their impact. Folks seemed at times stunned by the answers that came up for them.

I'll document some of those responses in a subsequent post, including some very revealing responses from filmmakers on the scene. I'll of course reveal my own answer (which surprised me.

Just to prime the pump, I'll list a few of the films that were mentioned: Dumbo. Two Women. The Shaggy Dog. El Topo.

Remember: the idea is to bypass the urge for a favorite film (although that may in fact be the movie that comes to mind). If you'd like to answer the question, give yourself a moment. Your answer will rise up like a fisherman's float. Grab it before you start thinking too much, then write and post your response as quickly as you can. Thanks - Jeremiah

No comments: